Career Programs & Tours
Career Day 2016
Career Day: February 27, 2016 at the Visual Arts Department, California State University, Fullerton, 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Speakers: Our Career Day speakers are all alumni of Ryman Arts now working in the arts. They will be speaking with Ryman Arts students in small groups about their path from being a Ryman Arts student to arts professional.
Ryman Arts Career Program 2016 Behind the Scenes Tours
Each spring, Ryman Arts provides a Career Program to focus on the expansion of our students’ career horizons. We want all our students, and their families, to know that nobody has to be a “starving artist”—you can find a career in the arts that suits you!
The best way to get a taste of the marvelous career opportunities in the arts is to visit the workplaces of artists and see the variety of skills that are in demand in Southern California's creative workforce. These tours have been arranged especially for Ryman Arts students and alumni, giving them a unique chance to explore their options for a career in the arts.
This program is available to current Ryman Arts students and alumni. Contact the Ryman Arts office to learn how to sign up for tours.
March 24, Disney Animation Research Library, Glendale
April 1, Walt Disney Imagineering, Glendale
- More tours to be announced soon!
Past tours have included:
Garner Holt Productions, Inc. is entering its fourth decade as the premiere company known worldwide for the design and manufacture of outstanding animatronics, museum-quality figures, show action equipment, special effects, and sets and scenery, in addition to world-class attraction and exhibit design and master planning. The company’s recognitions include a dozen of the prestigious THEA Awards presented by the Themed Entertainment Association for excellence in themed entertainment and educational projects.
Titmouse Animation Studios. Titmouse is an independent animation studio, most recently creating Black Dynamite; China, IL; Metalocalypse; Motorcity; Randy Cunningham; Superjail!; The Venture Brothers; commercials; short films and our book called MOOK currently in Vol.2
Walt Disney Imagineering. This tour is a special opportunity to go behind the scenes at Walt Disney Imagineering to see how a team of artists, engineers, builders, and dreamers develop new theme parks, rides, and other “experiences” for Disney parks and resorts.
Chip Foose Designs specializes in illustration, graphics, ideation model making, surfacing and complete construction of automobiles and automotive related products. It is also the site of the television reality show Overhaulin’
The Jerde Partnership is a visionary architecture and urban planning firm that designs unique places that people love to visit and go back to time and again. Nearly one billion people visit Jerde Places every year.
BRC Imagination Arts is an Experience Design Agency that turns brands into destinations. They are a themed entertainment company, working with theme parks, museums and events like the World’s Fair to create immersive experiences for guests.
Disney Animation Research Library. This tour is an extraordinary opportunity to take a look into the history of Walt Disney animation. The Animation Research Library conserves and protects the artistic heritage of the Disney Animation Studios and ensures the ability of the Walt Disney Company to use the collection “in-house” as a creative resource for brand enhancement, product development, and inspiration.
Themed Entertainment Association
Many of the companies participating in our Career Program are members of the Themed Entertainment Association. The Themed Entertainment Association (TEA) is an international non-profit association representing the world’s leading creators, developers, designers, and producers of compelling places and experiences.
TEA members bring the experience of engaging storytelling and entertainment to a vast number of casinos, restaurants, retail stores, museums, zoos, theme parks, and an ever-growing list of destinations that aim to bring a higher level of visitor experiences worldwide.
The TEA provides the proper channels and opportunities to network, educate, and help your business or career grow.
Career Resource Booklet
Go to our Special Opportunities page to see a current list of internship and scholarship opportunities, as well as other great postings.
Download the Career Preparation booklet [18 pages, PDF: 355 KB]
- Careers in the Arts
- Careers Related to Visual Art
- Internet resources for job seekers
- How to write a resume and cover letter
- Resume writing worksheet
- How to request a Letter of Recommendation
- Internships listing
And if you're looking for a job in the arts, read this really useful blog post from New York Foundation for the Arts.
College Day 2015
Sunday, November 1, 2015
Otis College of Art and Design
Special Event for all Ryman Arts students, alumni and their families 11:00 a.m. – 2:15 p.m.
The following schools will have representatives ready to talk to you!:
Art Center College of Design. Private Art College. Pasadena, CA
Bennington College. Liberal Arts College. Bennington, VT
California College of the Arts . Private Art College. Oakland, CA
California Institute of the Arts (CalArts). Private Art College. Valencia, CA
California State University, Fullerton . Public University. Fullerton, CA
Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising. Private Applied Arts & Creative Business School. Los Angeles, CA
Haverford College. Liberal Arts College. Haverford, PA
Laguna College of Art & Design. Private Art College. Laguna Beach, CA
Loyola Marymount University. Private University. Los Angeles, CA
Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts. Private Art College. Lyme, CT
Maryland Institute College of Art. Private Art College. Baltimore, MD
Otis College of Art & Design. Private Art College. Los Angeles, CA
Pacific Northwest College of Art . Private Art College. Portland, OR
Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. Private Art College. Philadelphia, PA
Ringling College of Art and Design. Private Art College. Trail Sarasota, FL
San Francisco Art Institute. Private Art College. San Francisco, CA
Savannah College of Art and Design. Private Art College. Savannah, GA
School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Private Art College. Chicago, IL
School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. Private Art College. Boston, MA
UCLA Department of Art. Public University. Los Angeles, CA
USC Roski School of Art and Design. Private University. Los Angeles, CA
Woodbury University. Liberal Arts School. Burbank, CA
In addition to college admissions representatives reviewing portfolios, there will be some organizations with programs for high schools students on their path to college. They will have representatives at College Day to talk to you about the benefits of their program. They are:
California State Summer School for the Arts (CSSSA). Summer art camp. Valencia, CA
Otis Continuing Education. Studio art classes and summer art camp. Los Angeles, CA
The Oxbow School. Private Arts High School. Napa, CA
College Day Workshops and Seminars
- Financial Aid 101, led by the Otis Financial Aid staff. 11:00 a.m. and repeated at 1:00 p.m.
- It's never too late! A workshop for 12th graders who don't have a college plan. 11:00 a.m.
- Choosing the College That's Right for You. 12:00 p.m.
- Applying for Contests and Scholarships. 1:00 p.m.
Also, Nick Soper from Creative College Prep will present two 45-minute sessions on the following:
- The Essay Presentation (Get Started, Write Now!) aims at helping students get started, and provides guidelines for strengthening the material that they already have. We'll talk about the basics of the main personal statement, how to tell your deepest story, and also go over some items for writing artist statements. For 12th graders. 12:00 p.m.
- The Considerations for College-Bound Artists presentation is about expanding families’ awareness of the different types of opportunities and requirements for participating in the arts during college. We talk through questions that help students gauge the level of involvement they'd like to have in the arts in college, as well as provide a reality check regarding the potential of a professional path as artists. Primarily for 11th and 12th graders, all are welcome. 1:00 p.m.
A working artist in film and theater, Nick specializes in working with artistic and out-of-the-box sorts of teenagers, but enjoys helping all students find creative solutions to gaining entrance into their colleges of choice. He graduated from Northwestern University's Creative Writing Program and spent many years preparing students for college-entrance exams both one-on-one and large classrooms settings. In 2012 he completed his practicum at the UCLA Extension College Counseling Certificate Program and is now an active member of NACAC, WACAC and HECA.
The following schools will be making 15 minute presentations on the 3rd floor:
11:00 Lyme Academy College of Fine Arts
11:20 Haverford College
11:40 Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising
1:00 School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
1:20 California College of the Arts
1:40 Art Center College of Design
Here are links to websites and handouts that will help you to navigate your college application process. Some are specifically for students who are applying to art programs and some are useful for all college-bound students.
General College Preparation:
- Ryman Arts' Guide to Choosing a College [pdf 40kb]
- FastWeb Guide to College Search and Admission
- Mapping Your Future This site provides free, web-based college, financial aid, career and financial literacy information and services.
- QuestBridge is a non-profit program that links bright, motivated low-income students with educational and scholarship opportunities at some of the nation's best colleges.
- TELACU Education Foundation provides college scholarships and mentoring to students in underserved communities in California. They have a great list of online college preparation resources here: http://telacu.com/telacu-education-foundation/online-resources/.
- College Prep 101 General college preparation information.
- Southern California College Access Network General college preparation information and resources for students, parents and counselors.
- College Visits Database A searchable database of college visit days. If you are low-income you may be eligible to be flown in to visit a school, contact the school's campus representative for details.
- KnowHow2Go College preparation and resource information for students from middle school through 12th grade, focused on the low-income student. Information also available in Spanish.
- College Affordability Guide provides clear, correct info and advice on the many options students have to reduce the cost of their degree
College Preparation for Art Students:
National Association for College Admission Counseling
Application tips for performance and visual arts students.
College Affordability Guide: Fine Arts Degrees
Good, in-depth information about what to look for when choosing your fine arts program, and how to avoid "diploma mills"
College Information for Deferred Action and/or Undocumented Students:
DACA Eligible Scholarships
A comprehensive website for the college-going undocumented student
How to Photograph Your Artwork
Mike Pucher presentation:
Photographing Your Artwork: The Three Things To Do Right [pdf 15 MB]
Photographing Your Artwork: Quick Reference Guide [58kb]
Ryman Arts Workshop: How to photograph your artwork [pdf 71kb]
Instructions created for Ryman Arts students
Ryman Arts' Glossary of Photographic terms [pdf 37kb]
How to Photograph your Artwork
Detailed instructions on photographing different types of artwork.
How to Photograph your Drawing or Painting
Shorter instructions on photographing a drawing or painting
Scholarships and Financial Aid:
Free Application for Federal Student Aid
The free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Use this application to apply for federal grants and assist in funding your college education. You will be required to fill out this form to apply for financial aid in college.
California Student Aid Commission:
The California Student Aid Commission’s site will assist you in your search for state, federal, and institutional financial aid information for funding post-high school education.
Latino College Dollars
Latino College Dollars lets you search for scholarships specifically for Latino students.
LA Cash for College
Grants and Scholarship for Art Students
A 60-page pdf listing scholarships, organized by the month they are due.